Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Gavin Newsom's had a hell of year...


...and it's only February.

When the Newsom affair first surfaced in headlines (all over the country, mind you) I can't say that I was shocked.

People in power have affairs all of the time. Thomas Jefferson ring a bell? Not to mention Bill Clinton and Ron Gonzales.

From a PR standpoint, Newsom (and his people) handled the situation beautifully. He made a public apology that was timely and seemed honest, and he took full responsibility for his actions.

What more could we want?

But then he announced that he is seeking treatment for his problem with alcohol. Whether or not he has a problem, had a problem, needs help, or is getting it, really doesn't matter to me. I'm curious as to why he (and his people) would release a fact like that so soon after he had nearly restored his public image.

I think that they are trying to redirect the media attention away from the sex scandal and toward an issue that Newsom (and his people) have complete control over. Which is either political suicide or it's so brilliant a plan that I can't even comprehend its mastery. Newsom isn't even blaming the affair on his problem with alcohol--which is what makes me think that it might be a public relations stunt.

If I were his people, I would have let his apology be the last thing they released. It was nice and people respected his honesty.

Seeking treatment for alcohol so soon after a public blunder is like a celebrity citing irreconcilable differences on their divorce papers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some good analysis here. Newsom's "alcohol problem" announcement hit me the same way. Just didn't feel right.

By the way, Lauren, I like your writing style. It's got some snap. Works well for blogs.