Saturday, February 10, 2007

Quit Giving 'The Finger'

Imagine walking down the street and as you are walking you notice a blinking light. Of course, your curiosity drives you to find out where the light is coming from and what it is. The closer you get, the more you realize that the blinking light is a cartoon box giving "the finger." What is your first thought?

Well, if your thoughts are anything like those of people in Boston, your immediate thought would be terrorists and that the blinking lights are bombs. Streets and bridges were shut down, bomb squads were called in, and in the end, the city of Boston was the laughing stock of the cartoon community.

Over the past few weeks, Cartoon Network executives have been planting these blinking lights all over major cities to promote one of their television shows--Aqua Teen Hunger Force. This guerrilla marketing campaign has led to the resignation of Jim Samples, Cartoon Network executive Vice President.

Here's the kicker. Turner Broadcasting and an advertising agency paid $2 million in compensation for the emergency response that had taken place in Boston for their own over reaction.

Clearly Boston overreacted, but would you?

Tell me what you think--Would this little guy spark your terrorist radar?

2 comments:

camccune said...

I don't think I would have freaked at the sight of a crude digital cartoon giving me the finger.

Then again, in my youth, during the height of the UFO craze, I did once momentarily mistake a group of Army helicopters flying in formation at night over the field next to our house as a UFO...so you never know.

(Hey, with the noise and those lights all lined up, it's a mistake anyone could have made! You should have seen me...I was so scared that I literally could not speak. Then they got close enough to see they were helicopters...and I felt like a total idiot. I think that's when I gave up on the UFO thing.)

Anonymous said...

Fix the typo (Imaging walking...) in your first sentence.