Monday, February 26, 2007

My Internship Experience



This weekend I spent some time to organize my e-mail inbox and group some internship related e-mails together. In this entry, I would like to share some of my working experience as public relations assistance in my previous internship.

I used to work for a Public Relations company for half year back in my hometown. One of the tasks I participated was to manage an event for a client. The whole process was much complicated than imagine and we had to do lots of preparations beforehand. For instance, it is crucial to have the updated contact information in the company’s media lists. After come up with drafts for the event program and the company brochure, we needed to contact different printing companies for interviews. We spent lots of time for face-to-face meetings in order to make our ideas clear. As my supervisor mentioned, the significance of meeting venders is to make sure they are the people we can work with and trust.

After all those processes, we needed to prepare invitation letters in a short period of time. As we are now in the age of information and surrounded by some many high technologies, I thought it would be more convenient and effective to send out e-mail including the information for the event. However, my supervisor explained that printed invitation letter is necessary for many reasons. First of all, it would give an impression to receivers that each of them is our special guest and is being treated respectfully. It is more likely they will reply and come to the event than being noticed by e-mail. Moreover, as a public relations company, it is better to keep a record in hard copy so that we can always have something refer to.

If you are interested in more information about production of brochure and other printed communication tools, please check out textbook Chapter 12.

-Jasmine

No comments: