Friday, February 23, 2007


So, I haven't watched American Idol regularly since...well, Kelly Clarkson made it big. But, my roommate is a die-hard fan, so I've been "fortunate" enough to catch a few episodes of this season.
I had heard that there was controversy surrounding the show because the judges were being portrayed as too mean, and the producers were accused of putting contestants through for entertainment purposes only. Shocking, I know.

The Bay Area had a contestant make it to Hollywood. He is an Asian man from Saratoga and was also the first contender to be eliminated.

Unfortunate, yes, but I think he had served his purpose. On a show that claims to represent "America," issues of diversity undoubtedly arose.

Call me crazy, but I think that the producers (the same ones who may or may not have stacked the contestants full of less-than-talented, but oh-so-entertaining personnel) may or may not have stacked the show with people who represent minorities in the USA.

Great move on their part, as it grabs the attention of the minorities (hey, we all listened up when we heard a contestant from our backyard made it) and serves to quell any talk of discrimination.