Sunday, February 4, 2007

Super Bowl Ad Campaigns A Major Downer

After watching the Super Bowl this evening, admittedly without favoring either team prior to viewing the Colt's victory, I can honestly say that I was more disappointed in the ad campaigns during the Super Bowl this year, than ever before. There has been quite a bit of hype regarding various ad campaigns and according to my blog spot (www.sspr.com/blog/), there was even a $2.6 million charge by CBS per each 30 second advertisement (Jan. 31 post). My expectations were to see the infamous amusing commercials of which most faux Super Bowl watchers partake each year, but I was instead pacified with cheesy Comcast ads, beauty shots of Cadillacs, K-Fed singing a jingle for Nationwide Insurance and cartoon Coca-Cola commercials. I would have thought with the launch of Apple's newest product, they would have at least come through with a winning advertisement.
After reading all of the excitement these companies seem to have regarding their air time during the Super Bowl, I was expecting much more from the PR perspective. Any thoughts from my classmates or was it just me that was disappointed?

2 comments:

Jennifer Malulani said...

I was entirely disappointed in the commercials during this years Super Bowl. With the exception of a few--like Budweiser's "Rock, Paper, Scissors," the commercials seemed to be trying so hard to be funny, that the humor was lost entirely.
The Pre-Show seemed to focus its commercial interest on The Chevy College Ad Contest winner Katie Crabb, who created the idea for "The Car Wash." The idea itself was well thought out, interesting, and held the potential to do great and humorous things, however, the actual commercial itself was lack luster and under developed.
After waiting all year for commercials that make me laugh so hard I cry, I am disappointed to say that I couldn't get past the occasional chuckle. Just like every year I can only hope that next year will be better.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was not terribly impressed with the Super Bowl ads either. And I'd already seen the Coke commercial.

By the way, watch your AP style...it's Colt's (possessive) not Colts (plural)...$2.6 million, not 2.6 million dollars...and Cadillacs (plural) not Cadillac's (possessive).
Please fix.