Monday, April 23, 2007

Cause-related marketing

When I saw these signs in the Aveda story window in the mall the other day, I was reminded of Myra, Lina and Gabriela's presentation on cause-related marketing.

My question to you is this: Do you think this cause is a good match for Aveda? Do you think this campaign is likely to win customer loyalty or new customers for the company? Why or why not?

The campaign is also featured on the Aveda website. Check it out and leave me a comment telling me what you think.

2 comments:

Niki said...

As a consumer who is always interested in different beauty products, I gave the Aveda website a quick glance -- and really wasn't that impressed. First of all, the fact is astonishing and sad. But once you click on the ad, it brings you to a page simply stating that Aveda uses organic farming, so that chemicals won't infiltrate that water system. Then they offer a link to a website that allows us to signa petition to the UN.... but whatt after that. Where is the help? Does a portion of my payment for a product actually get sent to aid these poor children? I always think that cause-related marketing is good, esp. for the non-profit organization in the picture, however, I think Aveda needs to step up their campaign, (and maybe they will, maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I don't think I should have to....)

Jennifer Malulani said...

The campaign itself is a good match for Aveda. The campaign matches the company's mission statement, but it doesn't take full advantage of the aspects of cause-related marketing.
The campaign may gain support from current Aveda customers but I don't think it will gain much support from new customers.
The Aveda campaign does not seem to involve the purchase of actual product. The campaign itself seems to promote the participation in Earth Month, but not through sales. Because of this, I don't believe that this campaign could be perceived as a successful cause-related marketing campaign, at least from a large company like Aveda.