Thursday, April 12, 2007

REI Undestands Good PR



REI is the outdoor retail chain and they know how to keep their customers happy. They offer store membership to everyone who comes through the store. It is a lifetime membership and REI charges only a one-time $15 during sign-up. The best part is that this includes a 10% refund on all your purchases at the end of the year. If you don't want to use it toward a purchase at a REI, you can turn it in for cash!

But REI doesn't stop there. They give back to the community by supporting local efforts to preserve the lands that outdoor people love. For example, they have partnered up with efforts to improve local trails. Not only do they make contributions, but store employees get together in groups and do the work themselves!

My best friend believes that by having one of these programs in place, they have made her a lifetime customer. Protecting trails may be one of her reasons, but it could also be that by December, she's already going to receive over $60.

3 comments:

camccune said...

Remember how the text notes "appeals to self-interest" as a good persuasion technique? Well, here's a good example.

camccune said...

Oops...one typo: "Protecting trails (not trials) may be one...."

Alli Zezoney said...

I am a loyal customer of REI. I actually used to go there every Thursday to rock-climb on their wall. They started recognizing me by name and after a couple weeks gave me a pass to give to one of my friends so they could come with me every week for FREE. So they in fact do many great things to ensure happy customers. This was a good blog post, I enjoyed reading more good things about a company I trust.