Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tips On Advertising

Today I want to share some ideas about advetising. I am taking a course on advertising copywriting and I always need to think of headlines for products. In the article How to write a great slogan for your business, the author thinks that the headline or slogan of an ad should stand out its USP(unique selling proposition) in a way the audience will only choose the particular product but not other competitors'. I think it's really true. Of course I am not that great enough to think of an outstanding and well-known slogan like "Just do it", but I want to share some of my opinion on making a good slogan.

First of all, a slogan should be short. Good slogan or headline is not really compulsory to be short. David Ogilvy, the father of advertising, once made a very famous and successful long headline for the ad of Rolls Royce: At 60 miles an hour, the loudest noise in this new Rolls Royce comes from the electric clock. Yet, how many slogans can people remember if every one is long like that? Therefore, I think the most important criteria to create an effective slogan is to make it short so that the audience can remember it easily.

Next, the slogan should, like I mentioned in the first paragraph, emphasize the USP which is the thing to differentiate the specific brand. Therefore, the slogan should bring out the character of the product so as to set apart from the competitors.

Last but not least, I think it is also essential to create rhythm and rhyme in the slogan, which is something I always love to do for my headlines. Again, it is not a must to do so. But you can make your slogan a lot easier to remember. When the audience has a great memory of your slogan, your ad is more likely to reach success.

No comments: