Sunday, April 29, 2007

Cisco Visit

I would also like to thank Carol Welsh for coming into our class last Monday. Since I was a child, Apple Computer was the main name in my household. In fact, there is a picture of me on my dad's lap at about age 2, banging on the keyboard of a very mid-80's Macintosh computer.

When I first heard the controversy of the 'iPhone,' I automatically sided with Apple. Knowing very little about the argument, it is easy to assume that Apple had every right to utilize the 'i' for the purpose of naming their product. After all, as tradition goes, most electronics manufactured by Apple, have an 'i' at the start of the very simple title.

However, after researching and reading through Cisco's VERY opinionated literature, it was interesting to see the over half of the controversy...have an opportunity to play 'devil's advocate,' if you will. I found it very ironic that Cisco had claimed the name of the new device so early on, and yet Apple used it regardless.

I simply thought hearing the other side of the story from a Cisco representative, was a very unique PR tool and a useful one for us students to hear, if for no other reason than listening to an already credible company defend their product.

I will still purchase the Apple iPhone® in late June, when it is scheduled to launch.

And I am very excited about it.

No comments: